Virginia Manufactory Sword
On January 23, 1798, the Virginia General Assembly authorized establishing an armory for the production and storage of weapons for the Commonwealth. This was the first and only state in the Union to produce all of the arms for its own militia. Built on the south end of Fifth Street in Richmond, the Virginia Armory was completed in 1802 and began production that year. Also known as The Virginia Manufactory the armory produced flintlock shoulder arms, handguns, heavy cavalry swords, and cannon from 1802 through 1821.
The swords were designed and constructed to conform to the military patterns in vogue at the time. The blades were very long and curved. The first model had a flat pommel cap and the blade was secured by a square nut screwed onto the blade tang. The scimitar style blades were 40 ½” long. The second model was very similar except a bird’s head pommel replaced the crude utilitarian appearance of the first type. By 1815 another variant was constructed that featured a shorter 36” blade. Arms making ceased there in 1822 and the weapons were stored for issue as needed. Many were briefly issued during the War of 1812 then returned to storage.
For more information please see: virginia-manufactory-sword
|Armory & Artifacts|
|Made in Virginia|